I think it is important to continually push the envelop to do better, be better, and think better. Just two weeks ago, I hit the submit button in hopes of being selected to participate in Google’s Innovator Academy. To learn more about the Google Innovator Academy, click HERE.
In order to become a Google Innovator, you must complete the following:
- Pass Level 2 Google for Education Exam
- Have an idea/problem that you are faced with and want to help devise a solution
- Complete the online application form
- Create a 60 second video explaining the question you want to tackle
- Be selected to attend one of the academies that is offered in the year. You must pay your way and stay, but I hear that the three intense days of learning and collaborating is worth it.
To me, I feel as though this is my next step in my educational journey. I have a topic that I want to improve upon at the high school that I work at. Each student manages their own Portfolio of Work site where they share some of the work they have completed and reflect upon the learning. I think it is very important for students to have a professional online space that is outside of Snapchat or Instagram where they are sharing their own story.
However, there is not much ‘buy in’ from the students or faculty. Portfolio is just one more thing on the checklist of things to do. As a result, I would like the opportunity to look at this task differently, with fresh eyes, to see if this idea can be changed. I would love the mindsets of all parties involved to be changed, with regards to portfolios. Students should be the ones that are narrating their own story outside of a typed resume or transcript. Below is the 60 second video that I submitted.
So this gets me to my point. What is one thing that you will do to challenge yourself this school year? This challenge can be something small or something big.
Fingers crossed folks that I get selected. Only time will tell!
And that is my Spiel…